June 22, 2012

We're entering the rapids

If someone had told me that my twin boys would ever want to be apart from each other, I would have laughed and said, "You don't know my boys!"  But, though they are boys and definitely share their life and their clothes, well mostly, they are changing and growing. 

Before our daughter and family came for the wedding, we arranged the 'Lego' room into a bedroom.  One night shortly before they came, I thought to myself, 'the Lego table is out of the bedroom so Caleb can breathe.  IF we moved the Lego table back into Isaac's room, Caleb could have his own room.' 
When I talked it over with Love, we decided we'd ask him if  he'd even be interested...he was delighted and thanked us!

Wouldn't you know, they are still together, but this small change has given them the chance to at least be alone, especially since Isaac's pineal gland has always functioned much better than Caleb's and he's up bright and early, swishing Legos around to build some new building or space ship!

They had a friend over for a couple of days and when I went in to say goodnite, all three were laying crossways on the bed, trying to all fit in a twin bed!  Hilarious.

Life is taking a dramatic turn and my heart is trusting in God, though my flesh cries out, 'God, if you don't help me, I'm doomed!'
We're dealing with body odor, greasy hair, pimples, wanting to listen to the 'rock' station, girls, reminding them they are loved and no matter what others think of them or how they're treated, they need to be themselves because God loves them just the way they are.

I keep reminding myself of all that Jesus did for me in my teen years.  How difficult my life was and how faithful He was. 

I read this today:

"Grace extends unrestrained fellowship to others in celebration of their inherent dignity as being made in God's image and as the objects of His affection.  Grace is at work in relationships when we are present for one another, accepting our mutual limitations and willing to exchange efforts to enhance one another's well-being.  It is only in intimacy that grace abounds."  Lead Like Jesus by Ken Blanchard & Phil Hodges


Though I may not 'enjoy' these changes, I am enjoying them.  It's exciting to see them taking on more challenges, wanting to be grown up as well as the victory when they 'see' what we're teaching them. 

I giggled last Friday night, when, after a conversation in the car, we had one of them come to our room to continue the talk.  He was tired, we were tired and he finally said, 'Mom, would you please forgive me for...being a teenager!'  He was seeing what we were saying, despite his exhaustion from serving at VBS all week, and just wanted to head to bed!

I'm slowly getting it.  They need space.  They need to be heard.  They need time to process my words...

Twins are the best.  Anyone that tells you otherwise has no idea what they're talking about!

Just, someone please pray for this mother to destroy all the 'buttons' they so cleverly push on a consisten basis, so I can continue laughing and giggling when I'd rather...never mind!

2 comments:

wondrgrl said...

praying... uh
i'll just pray.

lisa aguirre said...

Thank you for this post..so much of me wants to control what my son says, does..i need to step back and let him be..any yes while I have to deal with the body odor, pimples and girls also...he is who he is...perfect because that's exactly the way god made him..And like my daughter used to say "God don't make no junk.."